7 Reason to Workout in a Fasted State
1. Increases Lipolysis – BURN THE FAT BABY!
A fasted body loves to eat body fat almost as much Robocop loves his baby food.
2. Increases neurogenesis (the growth of new brain cells)
Whether or not fasting will improve your SATs is still up in the air. However, if you wish to ward off the odds of memory loss and cognitive impairment later in life—the combination of fasting is a good place to start.
3. Increases the effects of mTOR (our primary muscle/strength building gene)
mTOR (mammalian target of rapamycin) regulates cell growth and protein synthesis (the process in which cells manufacture proteins) . mTOR behaves like a spring. If we wish to increase its effectiveness (build more strength and muscle with less resources), it helps to first temporarily suppress it. The potential energy of a spring is greatest when it is maximally compressed. The same can be said (somewhat) about mTOR.
Fasting and exercise both potentiate mTOR by first suppressing it. For greatest effect, combine fasting and exercise.
4. Flushes out oxidized muscle tissue
Ensures that our muscle stays young and vigorous!
5. Increases growth hormone surge
This helps to explain why fasting burns body fat, yet spares muscle tissue—especially in comparison to other calorically restrictive diets.
6. Increases energy
The release of adrenaline (epinephrine and norepinephrine) increases in a fasted state. It’s like a free cup of coffee, or two.
7. Improves mental focus and alertness
Food slows you down. Humans thrive off of hunger; it's the ultimate motivator!
It Comes Down To This...
Indeed you may initially lose a marginal amount of strength and muscle mass training in a fasted state (I did) --that is not up for contention. All I'm saying is that the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks.- Pat Flynn
One Hungry DudePS - Please leave any questions you have in the comment section.PPS - Oh, and if you enjoyed this post - please "like" and share it with your friends.PPPS - Check out Fitter, Happier, More Productive!
Kettlebell Workout of the Week: Episode 11 -
"The Double Clean and Press On The Minute, Every Minute, For Ten Minutes Workout"
It's hard to find a move sexier than the kettlebell bear crawl thing.
Best performed intermittently throughout the day, as this movement is highly accessible and adaptable to any environment, such as:
1. You grandmothers basement (Why I now live alone)
2. The office (Why I don't have a corporate job)
3. A frat party (Why I'm so popular)
4. Middle school talent show (It's how I took 7th place... out of 5)
Where not to perform the kettlebell bear crawl thing:
1. Anywhere around Ted Nugent
The Kettlebell Bear Crawl Thing:
Push Up + Row Right + Step
Push Up + Row Left + Step
Forget me trying to explain it, just watch the video and enjoy!
3-5 sets of 10 paces will do nicely.
Don't forget to drop some love in the comment section and share this post!
- Pat FLYNN
Don't be timid.
5 cycles of the following movements:
Clean and Press
Perform 3 sets of 5 cycles
What does Ronnie James Dio, the world's greatest trumpeter, have anything to do with kettlebells?
The answer is not much.
Episode eight is "The Holy Fiver" (see the connection now?):
Double Swing x 5
Double Snatch x 5
Double Clean and Press x 5
Double Front Squat x 5
Perform 5 sets for a coooooool 25 total reps of each movement
Oh No! The Holy Fiver Strikes Again!
The Holy Fiver Feat Chris Foehl:
Double Swing x 5
Double Snatch x 5
See-Saw Press x 10
Alternating Lunges x 10
NOT This Kind of Gorilla!
Discover How To:
Melt Off Ugly Body Fat,
Get Fit Without the Gym,
and Reinvent Yourself in Just 17 Days!
Dear friends and frustrated dieters,
I would like to invite you to a two hour nutritional eCourse that is going to totally rock your world and challenge everything you know to be true about "healthy eating"!
An unprecedented opportunity indeed!
Here's just a little bit of what to expect at this "tell-all" event:
- Discover how to make fat cells pop like bubble wrap with micro-fasting and optimal meal timing.
- 1 simple little trick you can use to burn an extra 937 calories a day!
- Why “everything popular is wrong” and the 7 most dangerous fallacies of conventional nutrition wisdom that are keeping you fat!
- 5 “biohacks” that you can implement immediately to accelerate the “get sexy process” and never look back.
- 5 fundamentals of eating for energy
- Ten common foods you should never eat!
- Has the media been telling the truth about the Paleo diet?
- 3 “little tweaks” for regulating insulin, taming inflammation, and controlling hunger.
- The Truth about Carbs. Do all carbs give us soft, doughy breakstick arms? Discover which carbs you can have, exactly when you can have them, and carb sources that must be avoided at all costs!
- Implement the ultimate fitness “anti-program”--aka the nincompoop’s guide to doing more with less, and making LESS do MORE!
- The Ultimate, NO BS, Fat Loss Blueprint and Meal Plan
- 2 shocking nutritional truths that mega-food corporations NEVER want you to hear
- The secret recipe to the secret sauce of big blocky six pack abs.
- How to transform your body into a fat burning boiler room with pulse feeding
- How to forge a physique able to withstand all odds as far as practicable
When: Wednesday, August 22nd at 8:00pm (Eastern)
Admission Just $20!
I promise that I WILL NOT STOP until all of your most pressing nutritional questions have been answered!
And if for any reason you leave this event anything less than100% satisfied, totally jazzed, and fully equipped with all the nutritional knowledge that you need to get sexy, just let me know and I will refund every single cent of your investment!
Hurry! Space is Limited and Questions Will Be Asked in the Order in Which They Are Received!
Register NOW For Just $20!
(Limited Time Offer)
PS - If you are unable to make the scheduled time that's ok, this webinar will be recorded and made available to all who register!PPS - Don't let this opportunity slip between your fingers! Life changing nutritional information like this doesn't come around often (nor has it even been so affordable)! Invest in yourself and REGISTER TODAY!
For all you snatchoholics out there, it's time to feed the vice..
5 sets of the following (Left+Right = 1 set)
Cadence snatch x 1 minute (one snatch every 10 seconds)
+ 30 second burn set (as many snatches as possible in 30 seconds)
Please drop some love in the comment section.
If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer those as well!
Oh, and please SHARE!
Please lift responsibly,
- Pat Flynn
1. Order your food
Load up on the greens first. Start every meal off with a fibrous array of leafy greens. Personally, I love arugula salad with a little walnut oil and some lemon. MMMMMMMMM. Then move onto your meats and fats. Eat your dense carb sources last.
24 hour fasts are cool. But micro-fasts are even sexier. I typically don’t eat my first meal until around four or five o’clock every day. Don’t listen to General Mill’s propaganda. Breakfast is actually the worst meal of the day. And cheerios suck.
3. The Kettlebell Swing Quota
Short and intense bouts of exercise performed intermittently throughout the day will radically accelerate your fat loss, especially when performed in a fasted state. Here is my challenge to you: set yourself a daily swing quota. If you’re just starting out, make it between 100-200 swings a day. I don’t care how you break it up, but you must hit your quota by the end of the day.
Please eat responsibly,
(It's my blog I'll do what I want)
| |PS - If you have any questions, please drop them in the comment section.
PPS - If you enjoyed this post, please like it and share it with your friends!PPPS - Check out Fitter, Happier!
Life is far too short for only one kettlebell workout of the week (or day for that matter).
I'm coming hot off the heels of the last post due to the similarity between the two complexes. I think you're going to enjoy the upgrade.
8 Double Clean + 5 Front Squat
5 Double Clean + 3 Front Squat
3 Double Clean + 2 Front Squat
2 Double Clean + 1 Front Squat
Please lift responsibly,
- Pat Flynn
PS - My hat is off to anyone who can pull this one off with Som-like poise.
PPS - When would you like to see the next Kwow?